Sunday, May 18, 2008

I had the opportunity to get a shawarma a few days ago and man was it good. You can get them in a variety of ways and I always preferred the hot (spicy) way so I told the guy to make it spicy.
"Ok ok my friend" He waved me off.
"Naw brother, I want it really really hot!"
"No problem spicy hot."
"No you don't understand, I want it so spicy it makes me cry."
He just sort of looked at me, "Cry?"
"Cry."
He smiled and said something in another language to the guy who was actually preparing the sandwiches. It wasn't in Arabic, and I have no idea what he said except for the final word, "suffering".
The cook looked up "suffering"?
He said it again "SUFFERING".
The way he said it made me cringe in anticipation. It wasn't the two syllable "suf-ring" that you might have expected, but the fully articulated three syllable variety that he slowly and painfully rolled off his tongue. In case the point was missed, he accentuated it with a pinch of the air between his thumb, index and middle finger as a he shook his hand at the cook. "Suf-Er-Ing..."

Needless to say the shawarma was Delicious, with a capital D, but after a buildup like that it was not all that spicy and turned out to be rather unimpressively sufferable.