Sunday, May 04, 2008

Bored bored bored bored bored.

So I'm learning Chinese from this online course and I guess it's going ok. My problem is that it's self paced so I want to do everything perfectly before moving on to the next lesson. Of course nobodies perfect, so I now find myself a month into the course and just starting week three. On the other hand, I've self prescribed homework in the form of watching Kung Fu movies at least once a week so at least there's a bit of pleasure with the pain.

The last movie I watched was called "Fatal Contact" and was about this naive farmboy from the mainland who finds work doing a Kung Fu act in the circus. Mobsters see his act and offer him lots of money to fight. Kid says no but his friend overhears how much they offer him and talks him into it. A whole lot of 18 fingers of death later, the mobsters turn him into a mindless killing machine and his friend into a prostitute. When they both come to the realization of what they've stooped to doing for money it makes for an interesting ending...

The bottom line is that I guess this class must be working because I could actually pick out individual words in the film, and see how I had been mispronouncing others.

Next on the list "Infernal Affairs" the trilogy that Scorsese ripped off as the basis for his own movie "The Departed".