Monday, November 19, 2007

An email I received:
Hi Asa, How are you? Are you finding things to love about the dusty OK?
Is your job gonna be as boring as you thought or are they shipping you around for special tasks?
What's in your fridge? What's the latest best thing you've eaten?
What's the most fun you've had there so far? What's the crummiest thing to have happened?
What's your favorite room in your apartment and why?
What's the prettiest thing you've seen lately? What's the ugliest?
What's your most outrageous impulse these days? Inquiring minds want to know!

My (mostly unedited) response:
Thanks for the email, things are going pretty well... Or at least they aren't threatening my existence on a daily basis, which in my book is almost as good. I've come to the conclusion that Oklahoma isn't as bad as I thought it was, but rather that limiting myself to hanging out with people on base is what was giving it such a one dimensional feel.

This job is going to be as boring as I thought it would be, although I will probably be doing a six month tour overseas within the next year or so. My fridge currently has juice, water, apples, three types of cheese and some sliced turkey for sandwiches.

I can't really say what the latest best thing I've eaten is, although I did have a spinach salad the other day that was pretty tasty.

By far the best thing that's happened in a while occurred last weekend while I was volunteering to do security for a football game. I noticed this girl assigned to my post who constantly had her nose in a book whenever she wasn't actively working. "At last" I thought, "A kindred spirit!" Eventually she came to relieve me for a break and I asked what she was reading. As it turns out she is in the Air Force, has been here for three years and is taking masters classes at night.
The book she was currently ravaging happened to be just one of several she had to get through for the semester. Seizing the opportunity I grilled here for the first third of my break on where to go in OKC to find theater and the arts. She admitted to having the same issues I was
having when she first came here and pointed me in several promising directions with regard to the performing arts...

The crummiest thing that happened was when my boss called to tell me I was being shipped to Iraq for 18 to 22 months. Don't worry, it fell through and I'm staying around here a bit longer....

The prettiest thing I've seen lately happened a few hours ago when I missed my exit on the highway and had to drive out of the city before I could turn around and come back. I was rolling up to the stop sign on the off ramp when the angle of my approach aligned almost perfectly
with the surrounding darkness to reveal this gorgeous, star-filled, sky.