Monday, February 02, 2009

I got to go to the Oklahoma Museum of Art on Saturday!

At first I almost didn't go because I was only going to have three hours to peruse through it, but I decided to anyway figuring I could always go back if I didn't get through it. As it turns out the museum is a bit smaller than I would have thought, added to that they have a whole section shut down for a new exhibit their installing on the Harlem Renaissance. I'm glad I did go, three hours was more than enough time to get in, take a gander, and grab a coffee. Altogether I'd say I was struck at how much work appeared to go into most of the works. I say most because some of the abstract works (I'm not even sure that's how they were titled) seemed to have been phoned in. I'm sure they are important for some reason or another, but when I compare Don Eddy's "Private Parking V" to something done by Sam Francis I can't help but feel confused that people can even take Francis seriously as an artist. I guess what it boils down to is that I think I need to do a bit more research on some of the schools of art that they have represented at the Museum and then go back for a second look because there's obviously something there that I'm not seeing.